BEST® manufactures and markets a wide variety of turf products including general turf fertilizers, controlled-release fertilizers, fertilizers for tees and greens, and herbicide combinations. Professional turf managers count on the consistent performance of BEST® fertilizers, from the uniform distribution of their homogeneous N-P-K pellets to the top controlled-release technologies like GAL-XeONE™ and UMAXX®.
From the J. R. Simplot Company’s mines in Idaho and Wyoming, Simplot supplies more than three million tons of ore annually to its manufacturing complexes. By supplying its own raw materials, Simplot is able to produce a higher quality BEST® fertilizer for you.
CGCOA is proud to support SCGA Junior.
The mission of SCGA Junior is to engage underserved youth in the lifelong benefits of golf in order to achieve their dreams and potential. Through its programs, SCGA Junior works to fulfill its mission by achieving the following goals:
• Creating affordable access to golf for all youth
• Teaching smart decision-making skills both on and off the course
• Developing a culture of healthy lifestyles
The SCGA Junior Golf Foundation was founded in 1983 through a gift from the PGA Championship, which was played at Riviera Country Club. It is the charitable arm of the Southern California Golf Association, which is one of the nation’s oldest and largest amateur golf associations. The SCGA underwrites all administrative and development expenses, allowing every dollar raised to go directly to our youth serving programs.
Youth enrolled in SCGA Junior Golf Club membership receive access to a variety of opportunities with the Golf Pass. The Golf Pass program creates affordable access to golf for youth by establishing $1-$5 green and range fees at Southern California golf facilities during off-peak hours. Participants get certified for the Golf Pass upon successful completion of a series of online quizzes that include golf rules, etiquette and decision making.
- With Golf Pass membership, participants receive:
- SCGA membership – ability to establish a handicap index
- Opportunities to sign up for monthly
- Club outings Invitations to special golf outings and educational events
- Eligibility for college scholarships
- Access to $1-$5 green and range fees at more than 155 Southland facilities (upon completion of online certification)
- Monthly newsletters promoting upcoming events and member highlights
- FORE magazine subscription
We encourage you to learn more about the SCGA Junior program here. You can also read stories about the lives that have been impacted by the SCGA Junior program here. For questions about SCGA Junior, contact Kevin Gigax, Executive Director of SCGA Junior at (818) 432-4175 or KGigax@scga.org.
CGCOA is proud to support Youth on Course.
Youth on Course provides youth, ages 6-18, with access to life-changing opportunities through golf. Participants enjoy a variety of unique ways to engage in the game of golf and explore the golf profession, including:
- Affordable opportunities to golf at more than 400 participating courses
- Access to the Caddie Academy, where youth can caddie at some of the top courses in the area
- Paid high school internships, where youth can gain meaningful work experience in the golf industry and explore alternative career choices.
- College scholarships
Youth on Course was started by the Northern California Golf Association in 2006, originally founded as The NCGA Foundation. Its mission was to increase the accessibility and affordability of golf for Northern California youth. Within five years the program was thriving. It expanded to include caddie programs, paid high school internships and college scholarships for Youth on Course members.
A large demand for the opportunities afforded by Youth on Course grew, and The NCGA Foundation was re-imagined as a nationwide initiative to grow the game. The name “Youth on Course” was born to establish a national identity.
To date, Youth on Course has expanded to 14 regions, subsidized more than 500,000 rounds of golf, hired more than 75 interns and 237 caddies, and award $250,000+ in scholarships annually.
We encourage you to take a moment to learn more about the work of Youth on Course at its website here.
For any questions about the program, please contact Brad Shupe, General Manager, Poppy Hills Golf Course, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a list of CGCOA Member Courses participating in Youth on Course:
Chardonnay Golf Club
Little River Inn
Peter Hay Par 3 Executive
San Juan Oaks
Shoreline Golf Links
The Course of the Year Award honors a member of CGCOA demonstrating excellence in five areas:
• Exceptional quality of the course
• Exemplary water stewardship practices
• Exceptional quality of ownership and management
• Outstanding contribution to the community
• Significant contributions to the game
Community Environmental Award
The Community Environmental Award is presented to a CGCOA facility or management company that demonstrates excellence in the area of Environmental Stewardship.
Award criteria includes:
• Implements practices that reduce use of coveted resources such as water or electricity.
• Has an efficient and convenient recycling program in place for managing waste on course and in the clubhouse (includes bar, restaurant and common areas).
• Encourages on-site natural habitats for birds and other small animals. (i.e. Member of Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program)
• Increases citizen awareness on how golf courses are “friends of the environment” and how golfers can support stewardship efforts. (i.e. course nature tours, recycling waste, educational programs)
For the Good of the Game
The For the Good of the Game Award is presented to an individual/s who has worked tirelessly as an advocate for a program, initiative or cause that will help shape the future of golf in a positive way.
Award criteria includes:
• Individual has volunteered time for a worthy golf-related cause, and always in a highly professional manner.
• Has developed literature or program material that helps communicate the mission, purpose and/or cause in an effective and concise manner.
• Has reached out to others encouraging them to support the cause because it is good and/or imperative to the future of the game.
• This award is considered an “open” award and can be presented to CGCOA members and/or non-members.
CGCOA Ted Horton Distinguished Service Award
The CGCOA Ted Horton Distinguished Service Award is designed to recognize an individual who has made exemplary contributions to the association and its members. This award is created in the name of Ted Horton, who provided stellar service to the CGCOA for many years, and remains involved today.
Contributions to the association include (but not limited to) the following:
• Overall service to the CGCOA
• Serving on the Board of Directors
• Active committee participation
• Hosting and/or assisting in the planning of events
• Promoter of CGCOA programs and initiatives
• Sponsorship participation and/or encouraging others to lend support
CGCOA Employee Excellence Award
The CGCOA Employee Excellence Award is designed to recognize an individual who has reflected positively on the golf course operation and the game of golf through the demonstration of exceptional customer service skills, leadership
and teamwork. This award is intended to reinforce the importance of creating an exceptional experience for all customers who enter CGCOA member properties.
Criteria used to evaluate nominees include, but are not limited to:
• Content and quantity of positive reviews by customers, supervisors and coworkers
• Programs or work processes created by or improved upon by nominee that enhance customer experience or improve operations
• Number of people positively affected by nominee’s efforts
• Tenure at golf course property
Benefits of Becoming a Member of the California Golf Course Owners Association
The California Golf Course Owners Association (CGCOA) is dedicated to enhancing the business of our members. To achieve this, our members work together to better educate ourselves on new opportunities to run our golf courses better. Through personal contact with industry experts, whether they be fellow members or sponsors, the members of the CGCOA are exposed to the latest expertise, technology, resources and ideas to make themselves more successful. Furthermore, all members of the association pledge to themselves and the public that they will abide by core values which distinguish them from non-members. Working together, the members of the CGCOA are promoting themselves and the game of golf in a way that enhances their lives and enriches others.
To benefit all members, the CGCOA has initiated many programs including:
Semi-Annual Education and Golf Conferences – Twice a year, the CGCOA brings together panels of leading experts in California to discuss such diverse subjects as:
- Successful Marketing Strategies for Golf Properties
- Water Resource Management and Environmental Protection
- Growing the Game of Golf
- Employment and Human Resource Management for Golf Properties
- Limiting Liability and Decreasing Insurance Costs
- Dealing with Governmental Regulations and Compliance
- Smart Buying Programs
- Reducing Real Property and Income Taxes
The time spent together at these conferences addressing the pressing business issues of each member allows for a lively exchange of ideas and strategies which often leads to sharing contacts and information otherwise unattainable for members on their own. The CGCOA is dedicated to provide topical progams for which members have an immediate desire. Members are encouraged not only to share their ideas for future programs, but also to participate in the development of new educational programs.
CGCOA Group Insurance Programs – To lessen the financial burden of rising costs of insurance, CGCOA members have joined together to purchase insurance at lower group rates through programs created exclusively for CGCOA members by Golf Insurance Services, Inc. Our members are now saving thousands of dollars annually on:
- Group Health Insurance
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Personal Injury, Business Liability and Employment Practices Insurance
Governmental Affairs, Economic Impact Studies and Environmental Issues – The CGCOA holds a seat on the Board of Directors of the California Alliance for Golf, which is a coalition formed by members of the California Golf Industry. CAG was formed to successfully advocate the importance of golf to the State of California. Because of CAG’s efforts, the sales tax on golf was defeated in Sacramento through the development of economic and environmental impact studies. Realizing a continuing need for the golf industry to have a voice, CAG retains a lobbyist in Sacramento who keeps us abreast of the latest legislation on issues affecting golf. The CGCOA is committed to funding the new economic and environmental impact studies in order to insure that our members will have the least amount of governmental intrusion possible.
California Affiliation with State Tourism Promotion efforts to assist the golf industry and tourism industries. CGCOA has established a unique partnership to promote golf in California. Members receive special placement and pricing in the California golf guides and on the golf web site sponsored by the state interests promoting tourism and golf. This is the second year that golf is being featured as a major attraction for visitors to the Golden State.
Other Benefits of Membership
- Joining the CGCOA also comes with a membership with the National Golf Course Owners Association (NGCOA) and all of the resources they have to offer. This includes a “Listserv,” an e-mail community of NGCOA members, for gathering ideas and problem solving, marketing resources, and a Preferred Supplier and Smart Buy Program.
- Members can submit job positions to our Job Postings board.
- Members have access to research surveys and reports which will provide information and resources needed to prosper in today’s challenging business climate
- Networking at the local level with other owners and operators promoting cooperation and the exchange of ideas among members
- Local and state golf promotions and marketing programs designed to increase the efficiency of golf courses and golf-related operations
- Participation available for national and local chapter conferences and trade shows
- Smart Buy Program with special purchasing benefits with vendors and suppliers
- Preferred Supplier Network: There are specific member benefits and discounts with vendor partners including Club Car, International Club Suppliers, EMPS, First Data, Pepsi and CNA Insurance. All programs are designed to help members better manage their business and to improve their bottom line