CGCOA is proud to support SCGA Junior.
The mission of SCGA Junior is to engage underserved youth in the lifelong benefits of golf in order to achieve their dreams and potential. Through its programs, SCGA Junior works to fulfill its mission by achieving the following goals:
• Creating affordable access to golf for all youth
• Teaching smart decision-making skills both on and off the course
• Developing a culture of healthy lifestyles
The SCGA Junior Golf Foundation was founded in 1983 through a gift from the PGA Championship, which was played at Riviera Country Club. It is the charitable arm of the Southern California Golf Association, which is one of the nation’s oldest and largest amateur golf associations. The SCGA underwrites all administrative and development expenses, allowing every dollar raised to go directly to our youth serving programs.
Youth enrolled in SCGA Junior Golf Club membership receive access to a variety of opportunities with the Golf Pass. The Golf Pass program creates affordable access to golf for youth by establishing $1-$5 green and range fees at Southern California golf facilities during off-peak hours. Participants get certified for the Golf Pass upon successful completion of a series of online quizzes that include golf rules, etiquette and decision making.
- With Golf Pass membership, participants receive:
- SCGA membership – ability to establish a handicap index
- Opportunities to sign up for monthly
- Club outings Invitations to special golf outings and educational events
- Eligibility for college scholarships
- Access to $1-$5 green and range fees at more than 155 Southland facilities (upon completion of online certification)
- Monthly newsletters promoting upcoming events and member highlights
- FORE magazine subscription
We encourage you to learn more about the SCGA Junior program here. You can also read stories about the lives that have been impacted by the SCGA Junior program here. For questions about SCGA Junior, contact Kevin Gigax, Executive Director of SCGA Junior at (818) 432-4175 or KGigax@scga.org.
CGCOA is proud to support Youth on Course.
Youth on Course provides youth, ages 6-18, with access to life-changing opportunities through golf. Participants enjoy a variety of unique ways to engage in the game of golf and explore the golf profession, including:
- Affordable opportunities to golf at more than 400 participating courses
- Access to the Caddie Academy, where youth can caddie at some of the top courses in the area
- Paid high school internships, where youth can gain meaningful work experience in the golf industry and explore alternative career choices.
- College scholarships
Youth on Course was started by the Northern California Golf Association in 2006, originally founded as The NCGA Foundation. Its mission was to increase the accessibility and affordability of golf for Northern California youth. Within five years the program was thriving. It expanded to include caddie programs, paid high school internships and college scholarships for Youth on Course members.
A large demand for the opportunities afforded by Youth on Course grew, and The NCGA Foundation was re-imagined as a nationwide initiative to grow the game. The name “Youth on Course” was born to establish a national identity.
To date, Youth on Course has expanded to 14 regions, subsidized more than 500,000 rounds of golf, hired more than 75 interns and 237 caddies, and award $250,000+ in scholarships annually.
We encourage you to take a moment to learn more about the work of Youth on Course at its website here.
For any questions about the program, please contact Brad Shupe, General Manager, Poppy Hills Golf Course, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a list of CGCOA Member Courses participating in Youth on Course:
Chardonnay Golf Club
Little River Inn
Peter Hay Par 3 Executive
San Juan Oaks
Shoreline Golf Links